1) There are definitely some homages to my other favorite old-school shoujo warrior princess anime, Shojo Kakumei Motherfuckin’ Utena, and it’s not just the incredible flowy hair and long legs. Key character close-ups framed with roses. Usagi as Princess Serenity in the commercial break/beginning/end transition cuts. I know roses were a thing in the original anime but
2) Mamoru wears a tuxedo even when he’s not Tuxedo Kamen.
3) The transformation sequences are so beautiful. They literally bring tears to my eyes.
3) Ami’s episode had so much character development in just 20 minutes.
4) Mamoru wears glasses when he’s not Tuxedo Kamen.
5) We haven’t seen much of him but I sort of get the impresion that Mamoru is a huge dork. I mean what else do you expect from a guy who dresses in a tuxedo all of the time.
6) It looks like they’re adapting the storyline to introduce all 5 senshi in the first 5 episodes. I am incredibly pleased with this because Makoto and Minako are my faves and always have been.
7) ^on that note, are they going to cycle through the Kings of the Heaven more quickly? Are they going to include the Naru/Nephrite arc (which I am pretty fond of)?
8) ^^ I also think this means less messing around with episodes about sewing wedding dresses and going to balls and cruises to find a boyfriend and stuff. Although I did enjoy the wedding dress episode in the original, I really hope they go for a more modern take on what it means to be a girl growing up with a cosmic destiny and elemental superpowers.
9) I like Usagi better in Crystal, even though she whines almost more than in the original. I think they illustrate her reluctance to be a hero in a pretty effective way.
10) Ami and Usagi’s mutual girl crushes on each other and constant blushing and holding hands is makin’ my heart melt.
11) Sailor V! And the cute Sailor V video game!